Thursday, November 11, 2010

Bleepin' Sufjan!


With the amount of posts Taylor and I did in anticipation of Sufjan's new album, it is a bit surprising that neither of us has written anything about it yet. I will say this. I enjoy it...most of it very, very much. I, like many, was confused by (and disappointed in) Sufjan's choice to swear in one of his songs. So much of Sufjans music has been very worshipful, highlighting his faith (including, I would say, some of the songs on this album) that I was caught quite off guard. It would have been nice to promote the album without having to do so cautiously. Enough Christian bloggers have debated the appropriateness of a Christian artist like Sufjan swearing, so I don't think I'll carry that debate any further here (there is a good one going on in the comments at indievison's review of the album here). Rather I'll point you to a couple good Sufjan links.

-My friend Joey caught a Sufjan show awhile back and wrote about it at her blog. Check it out!

1 comment:

  1. I think we are really missing the forest through the trees. First, I don't think Sufjan has ever wanted to be the poster boy for Christian indie. His faith comes out in his music, but his status as a Christian artist is something that was hosted upon him by Christian fans. Perhaps we've placed a burden on him that he has never wanted.

    Regardless, some believe Sufjan is being a poor witness by swearing. Fine, there may be something to that. However, thus far, the only ones who seems to have taken offense are Christians. Everyone else has taken that particular song as powerful artistic statement. Every single review I've read (and there has been a lot) mention it, but only because of the emotional weight his phrasing evokes. Sufjan isn't the type of artist who uses words lightly. Maybe we should read his lyrics on his terms and not ours. In other words, we should determine what exactly he is trying to say rather than simply being offended. It would be a bit tragic if we spent all our time determining whether Sufjan is "ruining his witness" that we miss out on what is a clearly a very powerful song about his own human struggle and suffering. No one has really said anything about that element and it bothers me.

    ReplyDelete